Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Any day you have to use someone else's shower is not a good day

I'm in Vegas this week for work.  I flew in early Monday because I hate the idea of burning part of my weekend flying for work.  Since I had a lot to do when I got here on Monday I took an early flight.  So I woke up at 3AM (EST) Monday, caught my flight and landed in Vegas at 1030.

Since no one told me Fox Rent-a-Car is a shady establishment, I rented a car through them because it was the best deal and it took me nearly 2 hrs from when I got my luggage to when I got my room.  They gave me a key and said, "Just go outside and push the lock button.  It's a PT Cruiser, white...I think."  There were no parking space numbers and there was no license plate number on my key.  I feel like I'm driving a stolen vehicle the cops have been looking for.

I was busy all day Monday and finally got to bed at 2AM.  The person I was picking up at the airport got in at 12AM instead of  7PM and the airline lost all their luggage.  The next day didn't start until 7AM, but I woke up at 4AM and couldn't get back to sleep.  So after being awake for 26 straight hours I only got 2 hrs of sleep.

I went for a run and got ready to take a shower...but my shower didn't work.  Fortunately my entire office was on this trip with me so I called a friend with a working shower.  An hour into the opening session I went back to the airport to retrieve the lost luggage and made it back just in time for the next event to start.  When I finally found a 2 hour break in my day I decided to take a nap.  During my nap I received 4 phone calls so I cut that short after 20 minutes and did some homework.

My last event for the day ran an hour late so I didn't get to head out for dinner until 9PM.  After dinner I was convinced to hang out for one drink.  At which point I was carded in such a way that made me feel like a 12-yr old trying to buy alcohol.  One $12 drink later, I decided to turned in since I was running short on sleep and the person I had picked up at the airport Monday had to be back at the airport at 6:30AM.  The hole day wasn't lost though.

As I was heading back to my room I walked by the Bellagio fountain show and noticed a lady really enjoying the display of water and light.  She was smiling as if this was the greatest thing she had ever seen.  I took an extra second to look at her because she looked a little too happy (even for Vegas).  Then I noticed she has tears of joy streaming down her face.  No joke.

So I got a little enjoyment out of my 47 hour day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With so much time and so little sleep, is it possible the tears of joy were an hallucination?