Thursday, November 23, 2006

An Iraqi Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is here and in case some of you were wondering, I'll be having Turkey for dinner too. That is about the only thing that makes today different from any other day here in Iraq. I will still wake up at 6:30 AM to walk in the 35-40 degree temps to the shower, still work a 13 hour day, and I will read for about an hour before I go to bed. But tonight there will be a turkey dinner without family or football (football games do not begin until 8:00 PM).

Being over here still gives me things to be thankful for. I am most thankful for:

- Casie for being my best friend
- My Mom and Dad for always being there for me
- Great friends
- The Detroit Tigers 2006 Season
- Everyone who writes to me during this deployment
- Care packages
- Superman's return to theaters
- Casie recording 'Lost' on DVD and sending it to me in Iraq
- Casie doing my Best Buy shopping while I'm away
- Being in the Middle East in the winter instead of the 130 degree summer.
- Not having a Freddy Kruger face (see previous blog entry)
- A place to sleep and work comfortably (some of my buddies barely have that!)
- No mortars...recently
- And of course, my health, as well as Casie's and my family's

I could be here all day typing. Thank you all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tune in tomorrow for the reason I've been so busy this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy turkey day! I'm going to Mike and Donna's this afternoon through Saturday morning. I hope your turkey dinner is a decent substitute for Momma Wolak's home cookin' (and that you get a chance to call today).

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, Happy Thanksgiving. What was on the menu today for your Thanksgiving dinner? Hope it was good. Just Dad, myself and John for dinner. Wish Jennifer, you and Casie were here today. Have to start work at 4:30 a.m tommorrow. How's the cold? Maybe well talk to you today if you have a chance. Like your background music.

Anonymous said...

HI BEN!!! Happy Thanksgiving!! Too bad we are all across the globe and not all together for Thanksgiving but there is always next year!:) I hope the turkey was good but I am sure it won't be like mom's. I am going to go to Emilys (in their new house) and have some din din there. Have a good one! luv ya!