Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Food Network

Being deployed to a different country is much like being in the United States. You don't experience the culture, contrary to what you think. An Army post is set up to make you feel more comfortable, mimic life in the United States.

There are rare occasions were I get a taste of Iraqi life. When I mention taste I am talking about their food. I work with a Iraqi-born, US citizens on a daily basis and through them I have met many new Iraqi friends. They definitely take care of us "soldiers". About once a week, I don't know how they do it, they provide my office a plate of Iraqi food from off outside the wire, like the one below.


This plate contained something called Iraqi Pizza (on the right side of plate), lamb meat, bread, and toppings of tomatoes and onions with basil. I never had lamb meat and it is actually quite good. The "Pizza" is kind of like a quesadilla, but without cheese. It contains lamb meat and a creamy sauce. You can eat it as is or you can wrap it around some "toppings" and eat kind of like a taco. The lamb meat can be eaten as is or put into the bread. The bread is awesome. It is always fresh and is very filling.

My once-a-week Iraqi meal is just enough to break the monotony of the chow hall. Thank goodness for my food network.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how they serve the food separate so a person who doesn't like onions doesn't have to eat them. I wish I had known about that when I was growing up. It may have helped me win one of the many dinner time argument about "icky" stuff in my food. "But Mom that's how the Iraqi's cook their food so kids don't have to pick out gross stuff all the time."

Katie said...

I have to say, the food in the chow hall must be gross for this meal to seem appetizing. No offense to the Iraqi culture, though, considering that I eat crawfish (aka Mudbugs).

Anonymous said...

So, we continue with food arguements over the intrnet! Did you know that I was a very picky eater. I was just trying to save you from my fate. Didn't work did it Ben?