Sunday, January 21, 2007

Every Fortnight

In the states I pay $6.30 ($8.00 with tip) on base for a haircut that takes 8-10 minutes. It is a wham-bam-thank-you-type thing. It may not be the best haircut, but it does the job. Plus it is only two weeks before my next one.

Getting a haircut overseas is an experience. It typically takes 15-20 minutes. Looking in the mirror at them work is like watching a sculptor. They look at you from every possible angle , making sure every hair is cut. At the end they even give you a short head, shoulder, and back massage. When they are done, there are no stray hairs and you are relaxed. It's cheap too, only $3.00 ($5.00 with tip). I get the feeling this is what a haircut use to be like in the 50s and 60s before efficiency became more important than quality in the United States.

It is a little strange the first time you receive the massage, but you get over it quickly. It is just what I needed after the week I've had. I may start getting my haircut weekly. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a better good hair cut.
Especially when you get a shoulder and back massage too. I know when they just shampoo your hair it feels so good when someone else does it.

Casie said...

I'm not so sure I could get used to a head, shoulder, and back massage when I'm getting my hair cut. That just seems like an awkward time and location. I don't even like the pointless small talk they try to make though.

Anonymous said...

Ben - rob and i are watching AMC right now - the exorcist right now - and its this DVD version of it where it gives facts about the movies filming and such - and get this - it was partly filmed in none other than mosul iraq! i had to get on here and let you know! been reading your blog daily - take care!

Unknown said...

I think you have earned the luxury of a weekly haircut. Go crazy!