Monday, January 29, 2007

Morning View

Boom! Bang! No this isn't my homage to the 60s Batman television series. This is my standard morning soundtrack. Some refer to it as an Iraqi wake-up call.

Last week an IED explosion was close enough I was able to get a good picture of the smoke plume. It is on the other side of the wall, but it gives you an idea how close the wall is. This one rattled the windows and doors.



You can actually hear the difference between a mortar and an IED (improvised explosive device). IEDs are a lot louder. It is a skill I never imagined I would acquire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy-IED Batman!

That's crazy it was so close eh? It looks a little more like a smoke signal from a cheesy Western film though.

Katie said...

Darn it! I only made the underground tunnel system mortar-proof. IEDs totally slipped my mind. I have a few phone calls to make.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, just thought I'd let you know that we are thinking about you! No one else knows how to put comments on the blog, so I get to be the one responsible for that! We had another carry-in in your office. We will have to find a new place to put all our food, when you get back. 52 days! Hooray! You are coming down the home stretch, man! Keep your chin up and we'll see ya when you get back!