Thursday, January 11, 2007

Runaway Train

It is very odd to have railroad tracks running through any military installation, but you have to deal with what your dealt in a foreign country. The animals I mentioned yesterday could walk onto post, if they chose. You can't have a gate because the coordination would be too great to plan for it to be open during a specific time. The city of Mosul can't just abandon it's rail system.

The tracks weren't in great shape. There was so much dirt and mud covering them you had to strain your eyes to see them. You wondered how a train managed to use them, but we have a witness. A co-worker, John, mentioned his disbelief the first time he saw a train in action. With the knowledge of how bad the tracks were he thought he was seeing things. I thought I was seeing things when I took the picture below.



The railroad tracks finally gave way. It looks like I will never see the train in use. The train has been sitting like that ever since and the installation has put razor-wire over the tracks. I guess Mosul's rail system has been officially retired.

So I guess the city of Mosul can abandon it's rail system.

4 comments:

Casie said...

Another song to get stuck in my head! Soul Asylum this time, at least you have variety.

Runaway train never going back, Wrong way on a one way track...

Anonymous said...

How are those tracks even laid? It doesnt look like anything is holding them in place, such as railroad ties, etc. No wonder the train fell off the track.

Anonymous said...

I've thought a lot about the tracks running through camp. Seems that a suicide bomber would use that to his advantage. How are they protecting you? Reassure me, Ben!!

Casie said...

Uh...I'm not Ben, but most Islamic fundamentalists don't have access to trains Mom. ;)

(Don't watch V for Vendetta if you want to stay reassured by my comment; however, if you want to watch an excellent movie watch V for Vendetta.)