Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Oh What A Night

Mosul entertainment at its best! It started when my work day ended, after 13 hours. As I walked to my CHU the sky lit up orange. It was a flare in the direction of the air field. Next, tracer rounds filled the night sky choreographed to the soundtrack of machine gun fire.

All you can do is take cover and wait for guidance. I tried to watch How I Met Your Mother (the one with Barney's gay brother) inside my CHU, but every time I pressed play the machine gun fire would drown out the sound. I would pause to hear how close it was. It sounded like it could have been right outside my CHU.

After 45 minutes it was over and my heart rate returned to normal. This morning nobody knows anything. I've heard stories that a guard tower was taking fire and I also heard it was celebratory fire (yeah right, not for that long and heavy).

It was the longest fire fight since Day 2 in Mosul. Just when you start to get into a comfort zone, you are reminded this is still a combat zone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy, keep your head down.

Have you watched the one about Robin's secret yet. It's REALLY funny. I was laughing to myself like an idiot the whole time.

Was your title supposed to be a Frankie Valli reference? I can't get the song out of my head now.

Katie said...

Bee-yun! I don't like these types of posts! Please don't leave your CHU again, unless it is being targeted; then go in the underground, mortar proof tunnel system that I am sure they made just for you. I did request it in my recent protest.

Anonymous said...

Combat Zone!!!! Always Remember That. No Comfort Zone Allowed. We want you back in one piece and alive. I'm going to have to go light some more candles, I guess.

Anonymous said...

THAT is nutz. I just can't imagine. Be safe! GEEZ!