Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Tripod No More

The tripod I refer to is Steve Morris, IS2 Tom Pilson, and myself, the three legs. Steve, the strongest leg of the tripod, has left to return his family in the states after a six month tour of duty. We were each other's battle buddies. We would eat, go to the PX, pick up and drop off laundry, tell stories, and miss home together.

Steve was a great mentor and friend. He was the first person to greet me in Mosul. He helped my linguist and I with our bags and get settled into our rooms. He provided me with a better mattress when he found out what I was originally sleeping on a mattress 2 feet wide and 4 inches thick. Steve also taught me how to drive a manual transmission, so I could utilize the vehicles available to me.

To others, Steve was always lending his camera because it had the most mega pixels.
In most group photos he is missing because he was the man behind the camera. When Tom envied his M4 rifle, he let Tom borrow it for a month. He didn't have to do most of the things he did, but he always went above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. That is hard to do in a war zone.

One of the hardest parts of being in the military is saying goodbye to the friends you make along the way. His work and dedication will be missed, but his company is what will be missed the most. Mosul just won't be the same. Below is a picture of us returning from the PX awhile ago (notice the LT rank). Steve is in the red hat.



We look pretty "bad ass", don't we?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve is the best kind of mentor-I notice gray hair. He's wise!! I bet you're "Steve" to some of the newer guys. You just have that quality.

Anonymous said...

Is Steve a civilian? He isn't dressed like you. Maybe you'll make a friend and you will leave and then your friend will be wrtitng the same thing about you in 75 days.
p.s. I got a new phone and it has a countdown function and so I am counting down till you come back. Everyday it reminds me at noon the date you are coming back. It is pretty cool.

Jess

Laura said...

Jessie is so funny! I cant help but laugh at her cell phone countdown :)

Casie said...

Yeah I don't even have my cell phone counting down!

I wouldn't say you look "bad ass" Ben. I'm guessing if you could press play on the image you would be falling on your face in 5, 4, 3... :)

Anonymous said...

Casie that is so true. I didn't even think of that. I watched spiderman 2 last night and have come to the conclusion that Ben, because he falls, is spiderman, because spiderman fell all the time in that movie. So to recap, Ben, not Superman, but Spiderman. Anyone, Anyone?

P.S. I had to make a webpage for a history class about myself(don't ask me why) see if you can access it.

Anonymous said...

http://bb.gvsu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=/bin/common/course.pl?course_id=_129577_1

Ben said...

Cool phone Jess! I can't see your webpage though.

Casie - I only trip once in each pay grade. I got my Captain one out of the way early. :-)

Mom 2 - Are you saying I have grey hair already?

Zathras said...

Liisa here. I need to get my own google account. What is the wedding date? September something?